What do I have to ‘chat’ about?
My plans are moving along smoothly, the weekend spent in Germany in May went well, general plans are progressing, work at AQA is finishing…the EU Referendum…
I kind of wish I could avoid writing about the “Brexit” Referendum, because I am very aware that I don’t actually know/understand much of the details involved in people’s different opinions and arguments, but at the same time I am also aware that, even with all my plans and personal transitions that are happening, this is a very large “presence” in everything that’s happening at the moment.
I’ve also withheld writing anything about it because, core to my very being, is the belief that hope is stronger than despair and the importance of “giving the other side a chance”. Of recognising that, just because it is NOT my viewpoint, doesn’t mean something is necessarily “wrong”…
To be honest, this whole thing is challenging that thinking, a lot. But I also know that even what looks like difficult times and circumstances can be moved through to bring something good, strong and beautiful…I can empathise with the “Leave” campaign’s hope for a brighter, stronger future, but I am really struggling to see how this method of proceeding is going to bring it about.
Instead, I just see more and more parallels with pre-WW2 Germany and people’s approach(nationally and internationally) to the socio-economic and political environments at that time. I am NOT saying that the “Leave” campaign is a neo-Nazi political force. Its just that the fear, uncertainty, scaremongering, racial blame shifting, and a lack of trust in national leaders felt by a large portion of the population, opens many doors to reactive and isolationist behaviour and creates a massive opportunity for protectionist thinking. Which then often feeds back into the fear and uncertainty to urge an even greater blame shift…usually towards anyone perceived as “not one of us”.
We are now awaiting the announcement of a new Political Leader(of the Conservative Party), and I am also reminded of the defeat of Chamberlain and the election of Churchill, at the beginning of WW2. Maybe, this is one of those moments in history that will raise up a leader who DOES manage to pull everyone together and provides clear, determined, fair and brave leadership through the “shifting sands” which Brexit has created? Or, we could end up with the choice of a more isolationist, more protectionist, more conservative and inward-oriented version of a leader who will create greater divisions, greater “walls” and greater fear, in the guise of “guarding” the English people?
I find I cannot even refer to the British people at the moment, because we have all, unconsciously or consciously become aware of our differences through all his, rather than our common ground. Scotland is now speaking of the Scottish People, Northern Ireland is speaking of the Northern Irish people, and although Westminster may refer to the British people, no one is feeling very unified!
So, not much fun. BUT, I read the following quotation this morning, about transition, and I am aware that we are currently in a very great transition. There is a small, petty part of myself who wants things to get really bad and for international chaos to ensue, to “show them(Brexiters) we(Remain) were right!). But at the same time, I will TRY to choose to hope that the “Leave” campaign will be shown by history to be right. And the below quotation helps me choose that hope…
“The word change normally refers to new beginnings. But transformation, the mystery we're examining, more often happens not when something new begins but when something old falls apart. The pain of something old falling apart--chaos--invites the soul to listen at a deeper level. It invites and sometimes forces the soul to go to a new place because the old place is falling apart. Otherwise, most of us would never go to new places.The mystics use many words to describe this chaos: fire, darkness, death, emptiness, abandonment, trial, the Evil One. Whatever it is, it does not feel good and it does not feel like God. You will do anything to keep the old thing from falling apart. This is when you need patience, guidance, and the freedom to let go instead of tightening your controls and certitudes. Perhaps Jesus is describing this phenomenon when he says, "It is a narrow gate and a hard road that leads to life, and only a few find it" (Matthew 7:14). Not accidentally, he mentions this narrow road right after teaching the Golden Rule. Jesus knows how much letting go it takes to "treat others as you would like them to treat you" (7:12).
Transformation usually includes a disconcerting reorientation. Change can either help people to find a new meaning, or it can cause people to close down and turn bitter. The difference is determined by the quality of your inner life, what we call your "spirituality." Change of itself just happens; but spiritual transformation must become an actual process of letting go, living in the confusing dark space for a while, and allowing yourself to be spit up on a new and unexpected shore. You can see why Jonah in the belly of the whale is such an important symbol for many Jews and Christians.
In the moments of insecurity and crisis, "shoulds" and "oughts" don't really help; they just increase the shame, guilt, pressure, and likelihood of backsliding. It's the deep yeses that carry you through. Focusing on something you absolutely believe in, that you're committed to, will help you wait it out. Love wins over guilt any day. It is sad that we settle for the short-run effectiveness of shaming people instead of the long-term life benefits of grace-filled transformation. But we are a culture of progress and efficiency, impatient with gradual growth. God's way of restoring things interiorly is much more patient--and finally more effective. God lets Jonah run in the wrong direction, but finds a long, painful, circuitous path to get him back where he needs to be--and almost entirely in spite of himself! Looking in this rear-view mirror fills you with gratitude for God's work in your life.”
I know the “Yes” I’m holding to. It is the grace and truth of Jesus, and the belief that the “light” of that grace and truth can shine and bring life through the darkest and most dangerous of places. Thank Goodness!
No comments:
Post a Comment